English 102 Fall 2020 Paper I Prompt
One of the readings for next week is the essay “The Anti-College Movement: Finding The
Song In The Clamor” on page 234.Write a paper in which you discuss the factors that contributed to your decision to attend college. You should include the benefits you hope to gain from a college education, as well as a possible drawback. Since you are a college student, your conclusion should sum up the benefits of a college education.
Follow the paper formatting guidelines in the V.U. Writer’s Handbook, using MLA style. This begins on page 446.
1) Paper must have a title page, be double spaced, Times New Roman font size 12, with
one inch margins on all sides.
2) The introduction should make some general statements about college education and end
with your thesis. The thesis should include the topic, your position on the topic, and have
three reasons for your position. The reasons are in emphatic (least important to most
3) The body paragraphs are in the same order as the reasons in the thesis. Don’t forget to use
transitions between paragraphs.
4) You must use a couple of quotes from the essay and cite immediately after the quote.
5) The paper must have a Works Cited page.
6) Paper length is 3 pages. This does not include the Title or Works Cited page.
7) For each draft, fill out the self-edit form and submit it with the draft.