For this assignment, you will be creating a food safety manual to be used in your own home. There is a suggested table of contents listed below, but it is up to you to fully address each section. You may add to the table of contents, but you may not delete anything. Remember, this is for use in your own home, so it should be specific to your home. So if you are a parent of small children, you may be including different information than a single retired adult. Take into account the structure of your family, and who typically shops for, stores, prepares, serves, and consumes food in your home.
Do NOT include the explanations in parentheses that follow the table of contents elements – these are to help clarify what should be included – but DO include page numbers for reference.
Please do NOT copy and paste charts from various websites. Anyone can copy and paste. That does not show that you understand the concepts. Visuals are encouraged – either create your own or if you must use an existing visual, be sure to give credit to the creator of the image. You should cite your sources using APA format for in-text citations. So if you have a list of internal cooking temperatures (hint, hint), cite the source that you used to find those temperatures.
This is for you to demonstrate what you have learned and how you would share your food safety knowledge with your family and friends. Have fun with this.
Table of Contents (this is a minimum to include)
1. Introduction to Food Safety
2. How Food can Become Contaminated in the Home Kitchen
3. Safe Purchasing Practices (where do you shop, what do you look for, how do you transport your groceries home)
4. Safe Storage Practices (how and where is your food stored, do you rotate, check expiration dates)
5. Safe Preparation Practices (who cooks, what are they wearing, what do they do – include at least 4 internal cooking temperatures and explain how to check, handwashing)
6. Safe Serving Practices (family style, who plates the food, parties and buffets)
7. Household Food Safety (here you can include extra tips that you want to cover – think about things like if you have children, how you will instill good food safety and hygiene practices, consider listing some “training” resources, the poison control line, what to do if you suspect a foodborne illness, where to report unsafe food that you have purchased, etc.)
??anything else you would like to include??
References (formatted in APA format)
There is no set minimum page count, but be sure that you are fully explaining each content area. At least 1 – 2 pages written for each topic is the recommendation. Refer to the rubric for details on how the assignment will be evaluated