Sociology 1 – Introduction to SociologyMidterm 2 Study Guide 70 points
You will be randomly assigned two questions from those below. Remember to answer each part of the question fully. Each question is worth 35 points.
1. Define social stratification and social inequality. Discuss the functionalist, conflict and symbolic interactionist perspectives on social stratification. Explain how socioeconomic status (SES) affects the following: family, health, education, work and income. Do you believe that American society is a “meritocracy?” Why or why not? (Chapter 7)
2. Explain in detail the three perspectives on deviance (functionalist, conflict and symbolic interactionist) and make certain to discuss at least on theory/concept for each perspective. Explain the concept of rehabilitation in the criminal justice system and discuss how it is used in Scandinavia (see page 170). Do you think that this type of system could work in the U.S.? Why or why not? (Chapter 6)
3. Explain fully the functionalist, conflict (make sure to discuss hidden curriculum and tracking here) and symbolic interactionist perspectives regarding education. Make certain to give examples and detail. Which perspective do you believe best describes what is happening in school today and why? Finally, discuss the effects of “No Child Left Behind” and “Common Core.” Do you believe that these were good or bad for public education and why? (Chapter 10)
4. Explain prejudice and discrimination and give examples of how these two concepts still exist in the U.S. today. Discuss how the functionalist, conflict and symbolic interactionist perspectives view racial and ethnic stratification. Explain institutional discrimination and give examples of how it used to be used widely and how it may still exist in the U.S. Discuss how the intersectionality of your personal characteristics has influenced/shaped your experiences here in the U.S. (Give at least two examples.) (Chapter 8)
5. Discuss the four (feminist, functionalist, conflict and symbolic interactionist) perspectives of gender as discussed in the text. Explain how life chances are affected by gender and sexuality in regard to family, health, education, work and income. Do you think that the media portrayals of men and women are positive or negative and why? (Chapter 9)